Coal, Fire, Iron, & Steam
Hopkin Thomas and the American Industrial Revolution
Written and Compiled by John B. McVey
Table of Contents
Part I Wales
1. HopkinÕs Birthplace – Bryncoch, Glamorganshire, Wales
4. On to Merthyr Tydfil
5. Emigration to America
Part III The Industrial Revolution in America
Part IV Beaver Meadows
12. The Formation of the Beaver Meadow R. R. & Coal Co.
13. Hopkin Thomas as Master Mechanic at the B. M. R. R. & Coal Co.
14. Reorganization of the Beaver Meadow Rail Road & Coal Co.
16. Industrial Development of the Schuylkill Region
17. The Great Flood of 1850
Part VI Catasauqua
19. Catasauqua – Early 1850s
Appendix I Beaver Meadow RR & Coal Co. Annual Reports
Appendix II Minute Books of the BMRR & Coal Co.
Appendix III Patents
Appendix IV Pictorial Catalog of Early Steam Locomotives
Appendix VI Catasauqua and its Industries and Residences
Appendix VII Biographies and Genealogies
Appendix VIII Schuylkill County Court Records
Appendix IX Hopkin Thomas Timeline
Rev. January 29, 2011