UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
HENRY VARNUM POOR
REPRINTS OF AMERICAN CLASSICS
AUGUSTUS M KELLEY PUBLISHERS
NEW YORK 1970
Ed. This much-referenced work contains only the following limited information on The Beaver Meadow. At this time (1860), the BMRR was wholly owned by the LVRR. J. McV.
BEAVER MEADOW RAILROAD.
Wm. W. LONGSTRRETH, President Philadelphia, Pa.
L. CHAMBERLAlN, Treasurer "
A. G. BRODHEAD), Superintendent Mauch Chunk,
PRINCIPAL OFFICE PHILADELPHIA, Pa.
LENGTH OF ROAD Mauch Chunk to the coal mines 20.47 miles. -Second track, 18.6 miles. Sidings, 5 miles.
ROLLING STOCK-Locomotive engines 15
Cars:-passenger, 2; freight and baggage, 4; coal, 1001 1007
The Beaver Meadow Railroad Company was chartered in 1830. Its configuration was commenced in 1835, and completed in 1836. It connects the Lehigh Canal and the Lehigh Valley Railroad with what are termed the Beaver Meadow Coal Fields. It is exclusively employed in the transportation of coal, and is the principal outlet for the Upper Lehigh coal basin.
The company publishes no reports, and declined to make any statement of its affairs. The only information to be obtained in reference to them is the report made to the Auditor General, in obedience to a recent law of the State. From this statement it appears that the cost of the road was $966,791; the equipment $260,000. The receipts the past year were-freight, chiefly coal, $304,495; passenger $5,557 - mail, etc., $1,150-total $311,202.
Rev. May 2010