Excerpt pp. 213 – 214
Beaver Meadow is a post village on the Mauch Chunk and Berwick turnpike, twelve miles from Mauch Chunk, consisting of some twenty-five or more framed white houses, several stores and taverns, two churches. Where the village stands, some years ago, it was a vast mountain morass, however partly reclaimed to agriculture, which doubtless received its name from the inhabitants who once occupied it. It has risen into distinction by the quantity and quality of anthracite coal in this place.
In the immediate vicinity of Beaver Meadow, are several hamlets occupied by miners, and others laboring at the mines, or coal quarries. The miners here are principally Welsh.
The Beaver Meadow coal mines, which were opened in 1813, by Mr. Beach, of Salem, are about a mile and a half from the village. The Stafford Coal Company have a mine closer to the village.
“This mine, says Professor Silliman, was opened in 1813. The coal is universally regarded as being of the best quality. All persons whom we heard speak of it agreed in thet opinion. The appearance of the coal corresponds with that impression, and its burning too, as far as we could judge from limited observation The mine is in the side of the hill; there is no roof, or a very thin one. It is worked open to the day, like a quarry. It is already fairly disclosed, and the is no impediment to obtaining any quantity of coal that may be desired. The situation of the mine is not, however, much elevated above the general surface of the country in its vicinity; but there is descent enough, to carry off the water.”
Rupp published, as an appendix, a list of subscribers to his publication. The list includes the location of the subscriber residence as the country of birth. The list is of interest in locating persons of interest in that era.
Re. July 2010