Excerpt – pp. 188 – 189.
Beaver Meadow is a pleasant village of framed white houses, on the Mauch Chunk and Berwick turnpike, 12 miles from the former place. It contains the office and stores of the Beaver Meadow Co., one or more churches, two or three taverns, &c. Near the village are several small hamlets occupied by the miners, most of whom are Welsh. The Beaver Meadow coal mines are about a mile and a half went of the village. The Stafford Co. have a mine a little nearer the village.
The Beaver Meadow railroad commences at the mines, passes near the village, and thence down the valleys of Beaver Meadow and Quakake creeks to the Lehigh and down that river to the landing on the Mauch Chunk basin, opposite the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Co.'s landing. The railroad was intended to be continued to Easton and was actually constructed as far as Parryville, crossing the river on a fine bridge below Mauch Chunk. But the memorable flood of Jan. 1841, swept away the bridge, the culvert at Mahoning, and tore up the road in many places. The company has not since repaired the road below Mauch Chunk. Steam locomotives are used on the road. A railroad was commenced and completed up the Quakake valley, intended to connect with the Susquehanna at Catawissa; but for want of funds it has never been finished, and the design for the present appears to be abandoned. Prof. Silliman has the following remarks in relation to this mine :
This mine was opened in 1813, and as the title was contested, Mr. Beach of Salem, on the Susquehanna , who claimed it, could not give a clear title till last winter, when be gained the suit and sold 550 acres to Judge Barnes of Philadelphia. A company is about to be formed to carry an the business of the mine. A railroad is in contemplation either to the Schuylkill or to the Lehigh. If to the latter, it is said that it will be constructed down Beaver Cr. to the Lehigh, and down the stream to Mauch Chunk; the whole length to be 18 miles - 11 to the Lehigh and 7 down that stream. Active exertions are now making in Philadelphia to accomplish the object of working this mine and conveying its coal to market. It is well worthy of the effort. The coal is universally regarded as being of the best quality. All persons whom we heard speak of it agreed in that opinion. The appearance of the coal corresponds with that impression, and its burning too, as far as we could judge by limited opportunities of observation. The mine is in the side of a hill; there is no roof, or only a very thin one. It is worked open to the day, like a quarry. It is already fairly disclosed, and there is no apparent impediment to obtaining any quantity of the coal that maybe desired. The situation of the mine is not, however, much elevated above the general surface of the country in its vicinity; but there is descent enough, as we were assured to carry off the water. Smiths, it is said, come a great distance to obtain the coal of this mine, became it is so free from sulphur, and in every respect so good.
The mines at Beaver Meadow are now, we believe, worked by means of drifts.
Rev. July 2010