Maps of Philadelphia in the Mid-19th Century
Several historical maps of Philadelphia have been assembled for the purpose of identifying the site of the Garrett & Eastwick locomotive shops. As noted in the page on HopkinÕs stay in Philadelphia, one account has the shops being located on WagnerÕs Alley. At this time (2009) no map with ÔWagnerÕs AlleyÓ named has been located. Another account referenced in that page has the shops located at 12th and Willow Sts. This site is identified – it is a likely site – near the Baldwin Works and on a street that followed a railroad line.
The following maps are of interest.
ColtonÕs 1855 Map. This map covers a large part of the city and exhibits the greatest number of street names. Comparison with the earlier (1838) map indicates little change in the street orientations in central Philadelphia, although a greater number of railroads exist. The locations of the Baldwin Works, The Norris shops, and the 12th & Willow probable site of Eastwick & Harrison are highlighted.
Rand McNallyÕs Map. The date of this map is uncertain as the resolution of the image is insufficient to identify the date given above the lower margin, center. This map shows less detail with respect to the side streets between Race St, and Cherry St. than does the Colton Map. The map shows much of the city with emphasis on the Delaware River ports. Note that the railroad along Willow Street is identified as the Reading R. R. and that the 12th & Willow St. site of Eastwick and Harrison, abandoned subsequent to 1844, when the firm relocated to St. Petersburg, Russia, is now adjacent to (or part of?) a Philadelphia & Reading R. R. depot.
BradfordÕs 1838 Map. This antique map (Philadelphia 1838) is part of the Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogyª historical map collection offered by Historic Maps (http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/12075/Philadelphia+1838/). Named streets are sparse in this map. Compare with ColtonÕs 1855 to view the few changes in the center city during the period from Hopkin ThomasÕ arrival (1834) and the date of publication of ColtonÕs map. The area between Race St. and Cherry Street is highlighted – this is the area where WagnerÕs Alley was purported to be.
SmedleyÕs Atlas, 1863 Map. Also available at Historic Map Works is SmedleyÕs Atlas of 1863 which shows the names of the minor streets throughout the city some 20+ years after Garrett & Eastwick moved to Russia. The area below Race Street was examined in detail and no reference to WagnerÕs Alley was found. Note that the names of the minor streets are undergoing change as indicated by the phrasing, for example, ÒRichards Street now NassauÓ. The bottom map strip shown contains the area for the two blocks south of Race St.; examination of an additional two blocks south (not shown herein) also gave no reference to WagnerÕs Alley. The middle and top strips show the area above Race St. where the locomotive shops were located.
Locomotive Shop Locations. The central city showing where the locomotive shops were located. Based on ColtonÕs 1855 map.