Campbell’s Locomotive, 1836

Source – John White Jr.

 

In 1836 Henry R. Campbell of Philadelphia devised a powerful and wonderfully flexible locomotive by adding an extra pair of driving wheels to Jervis's truck engine, examples of which have been shown in the three previous illustrations, The first Campbell eight wheeler was completed in 1837 for the Philadelphia, Germantown and Norristown Railroad, now a part of the Reading.

 

Return to Pictorial Catalogue of Steam Engines

 

About the Hopkin Thomas Project

 

November 2009