Forrester's Locomotive, 1834.
In 1834 Messrs. Geo. Forrester and Co. of Liverpool completed an engine which included some important novelties of arrangement. It was a 6-wheeled engine with outside horizontal cylinders. It had, however, outside frames and the drivers were driven by connecting rods, acting on cranks, keyed upon the axles at a considerable distance beyond the face of the wheels. The centre lines of the cylinders were thus spread widely apart and as the wheels were not counterbalanced, the unsteadiness even at moderate speed was very apparent.