Richard Robert's Locomotive, 1833.
These Engines were built by the firm of Sharp, Roberts and Co., afterwards Sharp, Stewart & Co. Limited. These engines had outside vertical cylinders 11" dia., the piston rod working through the top cover and connected by a crosshead and pair of side links to a bell crank lever made in pairs from which the power was transmitted to the driving wheels. The slide valves were cylindrical and of a kind patented by Mr. Roberts in 1832. One of these engines ran on the Liverpool and Manchester line and three on the Dublin and Kingston Railway in 1833.