The Steam Turbine
by Sir CHARLES A. PARSONS, K.C.B.
Index of Diagrams and Tables:
- Figure 32: Turbines in Series for Four Shaft arrangement in Battleships.
- Figure 33: Turbines arranged, three in series, for a Four Screw Battleship.
- Figure 34: Section of High-Pressure Turbine, with Cruising Element.
- Figure 35: Apparatus for Experiments on Cavitation.
- Figure 36: Beginning of Cavitation; 1500 Revolutions.
- Figure 37: Advanced stage in Cavitation; 1800 Revolutions.
- Figure 38: Final stage of Cavitation; 2000 Revolutions.
- Figure 39: Diagram showing growth in size between 1894 and 1908 of Turbine Propelled Warships.
- Figure 40: Diagram showing growth in size of Turbine-propelled Merchant Ships.
- Figure 41: First set of Combination Machinery--in H.M.S. "Velos."
- Figure 42: The First Turbine Commercial Steamer--The "King Edward."
- Figure 43-45: The Combination Machinery in the "Otaki."
- Figure 46-47: The Geared Turbines in the "Vespusian."
- Figure 48: Water Consumption of "Vespusian" in service with Reciprocating Engines and with Geared Turbines, the propeller being the same in both cases.
- Figure 49: View of Gearing in "Vespusian."
- Figure 50: Geared Turbines in Twin Screw Torpedo Boat Destroyer.
- Figure 51: Arrangement of Machinery.
- Table 1: Performance of Parsons' Turbo-Generators at different Epochs.
- Table 2: Performance of Notable Ships of Different Epochs with Parsons' Turbines.
The Steam Turbine | Part I | Part II | Part III